Friday, October 18, 2013

Review: Crashing Into You by B.D.Rowe


Author: B.D. Rowe
Publication Date: October 8, 2013
Purchased: Requested from NetGalley
Genre:  New Adult, Romance, Contemporary
Book Description:
Bookish college sophomore Sydney Baker wants Evan Taylor with every ounce of her being. The hottest stud on campus. Evan is six foot four, ripped, stacked with muscles. He's even easy to talk to.

There's just one problem: he's her roommate Melanie's boyfriend.

But when Melanie tragically dies after a night of wild partying, Sydney and Evan turn to each other in a time of intense grief. And it doesn't take long for their close friendship to blossom into something more.

Unfortunately for Sydney, secrets from the past soon put her relationship with Evan to the test. Especially when  sexy blonde freshman makes her way into Evan's life, and tries to rip away everything Sydney holds close to her hear.

Reviewer's Note:  This approved book will be exchanged for an honest review.

Review:
I requested this book from NetGalley. I had to request this book because the book description (and cover- which reminds me of The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden) interested me.
From the first to second chapter, I can already find myself eye-rolling. Here's an example from one of the paragraphs:
"But I changed my routine this semester because it allowed me to spend more time with him. Tall, sexy, and sadly unattainable, he was the one I craved. He was the one I wanted to be mine. Evan Taylor, my roomate's boyfriend."- Sydeny Baker.
Eye-roller there.  It's already clear that the protagonist from the start that she wanted him. She will do anything to be with Evan Taylor. She had even said "I know you're dating my roommate, but would you care to make out?" in one of her internal monologues.

With me continuing on further into this book, I came to the conclusion that: I don't really much care for much of the characters than I wanted to. I wanted to like the characters, I really do...but it feels as if there is something missing. They just feel flat and plain to me. Nothing exciting or suprising with these characters that appears to me. I don't feel much of a connection to them as I thought I would have.

What's missing in Crashing Into You  was maybe having Evan's point of view of things like many other NA books have so we can have both sides of the story- knowing what they are thinking at that moment. If this book had it, I believe it would be a lot more enjoyable than just having it in Sydeny's perspective.


Conclusion:
Overall, Crashing Into You   has a lot of potential. It really does. Just a few things needs more tweaking such as character development, the situation theme of drinking and driving could have been handled more  much maturely than it was presented.  I enjoyed B.D. Rowe's writing, Crashing Into You was well-written but it could have been a bit better. I think this book book more highschool than college-themed. There maybe a promise of a second due to the end of this book in a questioning cliff-hanger kind of way.
Would I read the second book it if ever does plan on coming out? Hmm, maybe.
But this book really wasn't all that I expected. It's a quick, easy read.

But would I recommend this book? Of course, while it's my opinion, I'm sure there are many other people who would LOVE this book more than I did.

Crashing Into You   would be a 3.5/5 for me. Hopefully B.D. Rowe's stories are much more developed in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment